Greenwich.co.uk

Greenwich news and information

  • News
  • Sport
  • Blogs
  • Hotels in Greenwich
    • Serviced Apartments in Greenwich
  • Visiting
    • Things to Do in Greenwich
  • Greenwich Books
  • Greenwich Collectibles
  • Events
    • Add an Event

The news section of Greenwich.co.uk has been paused since 2018. Please enjoy browsing archive news articles below.

New deli planned in Nelson Road

October 8, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

Bar du Musee, now closed in Greenwich
Jamie’s Italian expected to replace the now closed Bar du Musee

JAMIE Oliver’s forthcoming Greenwich restaurant will include a new deli when it opens early next year.

Plans have been submitted to Greenwich Council for alterations to the Grade-II listed Bar Du Musee to turn it into the latest branch of Essex-born chef’s chain, Jamie’s Italian.

The application envisages “internal alterations to facilitate Restaurant with Deli at No. 17 [Nelson Road].”

The entrance to the new restaurant would be at 19 Nelson Road, which has been the cafe area of Bar Du Musee and was formerly called George of Greenwich.

The arrival of Jamie Oliver’s Italian chain to Greenwich town centre was confirmed last month by Greenwich Hospital’s Property Manager, Gilly Bexson.

 

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Nelson Road

Council asked to consider allowing meetings to be recorded

September 29, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

Council Chamber - Woolwich Town Hall

THE LEADER of Greenwich Council has been asked to consider allowing members of the public to record council meetings.

Greenwich Council’s constitution forbids the recording of council meetings without the prior consent of the Mayor, who chairs full council meetings, in consultation with the Chief Executive.

Councillor Nigel Fletcher (Conservative, Eltham North) said at Wednesday night’s full council meeting that this was “putting barriers in the way of members of the public taking an interest in proceedings in this chamber.”

He asked the Leader of the Council if the council could “look at changing the constitution to remove this obstacle.”

Councillor Chris Roberts replied: “Given my well known love of all things technological and the anti-social network sites… That’s obviously something for the council to consider. If that’s what it wants to consider, we will do so.”

Cllr Roberts also said in a written answer that “we have received no recent requests to record the proceedings in the Council Chamber.”

Greenwich.co.uk made a formal request to Greenwich Council in March 2011 to record a council meeting but permission was declined.

The government wrote to all local authorities in February 2011 encouraging them to allow meetings to be recorded.

“The public should rightly expect that elected representatives who have put themselves up for public office be prepared for their decisions to be as transparent as possible and welcome a direct line of communication to their electorate,” the letter from the then local government minister stated.

Council Chamber - Woolwich Town Hall

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Chris Roberts, Cllr Nigel Fletcher

Council pressed over car parking charges

September 27, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

THE CABINET member responsible for car parking in the borough says current pricing is “reasonable.”

Cllr Denise Hyland was answering a question from Conservative Deputy Leader Alex Wilson at Wednesday’s full council meeting, who wanted to know if she agreed with a Labour MP’s recent warning on the price of car parking.

He asked: “Does she agree with Labour MP David Crausby, in relation to car parking charges, that if local authorities charge excessively for car parking within high streets and town centres, town centres are going to continue to die?”

Cllr Hyland began her reply by referring to Westminster Council.

“Well, I’m not taking any lessons from Westminster [council] that’s for certain where the Leader had to resign over the fiasco there and the Cabinet Member has now been shifted sideways, Mr Mayor.”

She continued: “There’s always a balance, isn’t there.  Everybody wants controls, everybody wants enforcement, nobody particularly wants to pay for it and the only way that we can fund enforcement is actually through levying a reasonable charge and if that’s what you wanted to hear from me about reasonableness, that’s what you will hear from this side of the Chamber around all issues including car parking.”

The council ramped up the price of parking at its Greenwich town centre car parks from £1.30 per hour to £2.50 per hour last year.

Greenwich.co.uk revealed last October that the big price hike was delivering only a modest increase in revenue.

Earlier this year, council officers told councillors that the increases had only netted half the amount anticipated, and admitted they have not conducted any studies into the impact of the increases on local businesses

A further increase to £2.70 per hour is planned for next year.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Car Parking, Cllr Alex Wilson, Cllr Denise Hyland

Greenwich fire stations threatened with closure

September 26, 2012 By Adam Bienkov

FIRE stations across Greenwich borough could be closed under dramatic cost-cutting plans by the London Fire Brigade.

The Mayor of London Boris Johnson has instructed the brigade to save £65 million over the next two years. Up to 30 stations, 30 fire engines and 840 jobs across London are now under threat.

Greenwich borough is a particular target for cuts according to an internal report leaked to Greenwich.co.uk. Members of the London Fire authority were told recently that:

“One appliance stations are an expensive way of providing the service… In Greenwich, it costs some £940k pa more [than similar boroughs], because it is delivered mostly from one-appliance stations”

Greenwich, East Greenwich, Eltham, Woolwich, and Lee Green fire stations are all currently run with just one fire engine. Only Plumstead fire station has two. By contrast Bexley has just three fire stations covering the whole borough.

Under a proposal being considered by the brigade, only one-appliance stations will be targeted for closure.


Excerpt from leaked document

Any closures could significantly increase the time it takes firefighters to reach incidents in the borough. According to internal brigade statistics, response times for two-appliance stations are up to three times longer on average, than for areas covered by single-appliance stations.

The proposals have reignited fears of strike action. A spokesperson for the Fire Brigade Union told Greenwich.co.uk:

“It is very difficult to see at this stage how they will be able to carry out such deep cuts without compromising public safety and reducing the level of fire cover in parts of London. When it comes to fire, seconds count, and quick response times are crucial. If we believe any proposals would jeopardise the safety of Londoners, we will do everything in our power to resist their implementation.”

Asked about station closures earlier this month the Mayor’s chairman of the Fire Authority James Cleverly pointed out that the number of fires across London has dramatically reduced in recent years. Over the last 12 years the number of fires in London has fallen from 48,000 a year to just 27,000.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said today:

“Like virtually every other public service, the brigade is facing the need to make savings. The Mayor has given a target for these savings, and we are considering our response to this. All options are being considered but no decisions have yet been made.”

A full list of stations threatened with closure will be released in November.

UPDATED

Nick Raynsford MP provided this comment in response to the story above:

“As the Government’s austerity programme bites harder, it is clear that serious spending cuts are being considered at City Hall affecting the Metropolitan Police Service and the London Fire Brigade. These could well have a disastrous impact on front-line services, including the downgrading of Neighbourhood Police Teams, the loss of fire appliances and closure of Police and Fire Stations.

While not opposed to efficiency savings which have no adverse impact on public safety, I will be scrutinising very closely any proposals which could increase the risk of harm to the public through crime, fire or other emergency, and will strenuously oppose and such cuts that threaten the safety of Greenwich and Woolwich”.

Filed Under: News

Thor 2 movie to be filmed in Greenwich

September 25, 2012 By Rob Powell

FILMING for the sequel to the Marvel Comics Thor movie looks set to take place in Greenwich next month.

A letter has been distributed in the town centre from the production office for a film with the working title “Thursday Mourning.”

The letter advises that filming will take place at the Old Royal Naval College and the Thames on October 21st with the use of a helicopter at altitudes as low as 100ft.

“We are writing to let you know our plans as it’s not every day you see or hear a helicopter fly at low level in this area and we did not want anyone to be alarmed,” states the letter.

Internet speculation suggests that the working title is a cover for filming of Thor sequel, The Dark World, starring Chris Hemsworth.

Other movies to be filmed at the Old Royal Naval College this year include new James Bond film Skyfall and the new screen version of Les Miserables.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Filming in Greenwich, Old Royal Naval College

Bar du Musee in Nelson Road has closed

September 24, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

Bar du Musee, now closed in Greenwich

A GREENWICH restaurant with a history that stretches back to the 1960s has closed today.

Bar du Musee in Nelson Road started life as a small wine bar and was the first venue in the town centre to come under the ownership of Greenwich Inc.

The bar grew in size to include a cafe area, large restaurant area and also a covered garden space.

The large venue in a prime town centre location has apparently caught the attention of Jamie Oliver and a long-rumoured move by his Jamie’s Italian chain was confirmed in the latest edition of landlord Greenwich Hospital’s own magazine.

“A new arrival, timed for early next year,” writes Greenwich Hospital’s Property Manager Gillie Bexson, “is Jamie Oliver’s Jamie’s Italian on the Bar du Musee site. This relaxed and affordable dining… will be popular with locals and visitors alike.”

Greenwich Inc owner Frank Dowling recently spoke to Greenwich.co.uk and said his future plans included investing heavily in the Trafalgar Tavern to deliver 15 hotel rooms and renovating the entire building, building a new hotel at the site of Trident Hall and developing a music theme at the Admiral Hardy. In addition Inc Bar will be re-launched as a “classy cocktail bar.”

Greenwich.co.uk also understands the Bar du Musee name may be revived at another Greenwich venue in the future.

UPDATED

Another Nelson Road has also closed. Italian restaurant La Cucina di Soteri, at the corner of Nelson Road and King William Walk suddenly closed for business just days afte Bar du Musee.

The owner told Greenwich.co.uk that the premises had been sold back to the landlord, Greenwich Hospital.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Nelson Road

Greenwich Park: New cycle access proposed at St Mary’s Gate

September 21, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

CYCLISTS could get their own dedicated gate giving access to Greenwich Park, if planning permission is given by the council.

An application has been submitted to the council by the Royal Parks to install a new gate in the centre of the St Mary’s Gate at the north west end of the park.

Under current arrangements, cyclists and pedestrians have to share gates on either side of the main vehicle gates once they are closed to traffic.

The new proposals, which have been designed in consultation with English Heritage, would see the central panel replaced with a new gate, designed in the same style, solely for cyclists.

The planning application says the change to the Grade-II listed wrought iron gate is “necessary to balance the needs of road, path and park users.” It’s hoped that the work will be paid for from a TFL fund for improving “Greenways” across London.

Work on the Blackheath Gate, at the other end of The Avenue, is expected to be completed by early next year.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Greenwich Park

New director at Greenwich Hospital appointed

September 14, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

HUGH PLAYER has been appointed as the new Director of Greenwich Hospital.

Player will replace Martin Sands who is retiring as boss of the naval charity that owns large parts of maritime Greenwich.

The new man in charge is a former Royal Marine and was most recentlythe Chief Executive of St Martin-in-the-Fields church.

He commented: “I am delighted and honoured to be the first Director of Greenwich Hospital to be appointed from a commercial charitable background.

“My intentions are to build on the solid foundations inherited from Martin Sands and to ensure Greenwich Hospital is able to develop its charitable outputs whilst continuing to be a force for good in the community and remaining at the heart of Maritime Britain.”

Outgoing boss Martin Sands said:

“I have enjoyed steering Greenwich Hospital through challenging economic times. With career experiences in the private and charitable sectors, coupled with Historic Royal Palaces, Hugh will be well placed to work with our stakeholders in developing Greenwich Hospital’s key roles.”

Mr Player takes up his position on September 24th.

Greenwich Hospital recently told traders at Greenwich Market that there will be no start to its controversial redevelopment of the market for at least another year.

Filed Under: News

HMS Ocean to leave London on Wednesday

September 11, 2012 By Rob Powell

HMS Ocean at Greenwich

HMS OCEAN will depart the capital on Wednesday morning.

The Royal Navy’s largest active vessel has been moored at Greenwich for the duration of the Olympics and Paralympics, helping to protect London.

Thousands of members of the public got to go on board the Landing Platform Helicopter (LPH) assault ship on several open days during her stay at Greenwich and tomorrow will be a final chance to wave her goodbye.

HMS Ocean is expected to leave Greenwich at 10.30am and pass through the Thames Barrier by 11am.

The progress of HMS Ocean, and other river activity, can be tracked with a new live map on Greenwich.co.uk, powered by MarineTraffic: Live River Thames traffic map.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: HMS Ocean

Limited use of Greenwich Park’s Avenue returns this week

September 11, 2012 By Greenwich.co.uk

PEDESTRIANS and cyclists will be able to use the Avenue running through Greenwich Park from later this week.

Limited access to the road through the park will be restored from September 14th, six days later than was previous planned.

London 2012 organisers put the delay down to the  “large amounts of infrastructure that must be removed, and the large amount of construction lorries required to take equipment away.”

Cyclists will be able to use the Avenue in both directions between 6am and 8.30am, and from 5.30pm until Park closing times. It’s due to reopen fully, including for use by cars, on October 1st.

Graham Dear, Greenwich Park Manager, The Royal Parks, said: “Work to reinstate the areas of the Park used for the Cross Country event is already well underway and progress is good and we are now preparing to reinstate the remaining areas of the park once all the temporary infrastructure is removed. Meanwhile, it is great to see local people already making use of the large areas of the park which began to reopen in early August.”

No tennis until October

Anyone inspired by Andy Murray’s historic US Open win in the early hours of this morning will have to wait a little longer to take to the courts in Greenwich Park.

It’s been announced that the reopening of the tennis courts in the park has been delayed from mid-September until the beginning of October. A temporary surface was laid over the courts and fences taken down temporarily during London 2012 so that horses could use it as a warm-up area.

Murray, the first British male to win a Grand Slam since 1936, will be in action in Greenwich in November when he competes in the ATP World Tour Finals at the O2.

 

Filed Under: News

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • …
  • 62
  • Next Page »

Visit the Old Royal Naval College

Book tickets for the Old Royal Naval College

Recent Posts

  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Charlton v Chelsea U-21 (29/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Barnsley v Charlton (22/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Bristol Rovers v Charlton (1/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Cambridge United v Charlton (17/09/24)

Greenwich.co.uk © Uretopia Limited | About/Contact | Privacy Policy