Greenwich.co.uk

Greenwich news and information

  • News
  • Sport
  • Blogs
  • Hotels in Greenwich
    • Serviced Apartments in Greenwich
  • Visiting
    • Things to Do in Greenwich
  • Greenwich Books
  • Greenwich Collectibles
  • Events
    • Add an Event
You are here: Greenwich / News

NOGOE Go To Downing Street

November 3, 2009 By Rob Powell

Representatives of the campaign to halt the events from the 2012 Olympic Games taking place in Greenwich Park have visited 10 Downing Street to deliver their petition to the Prime Minister.

NOGOE (No to Greenwich Olympic Equestrian Events) delivered the box containing 13,200 signatures last Friday and cheekily included a packet of biscuits.

The petition signatures were collected at the gates of Greenwich Park during the summer, and NOGOE say that postcode analysis showed that 80% of the signatories were from south-east London, 10% were from other parts of London and the remaining 10% were from the rest of the country and abroad.

Another box of signatures will be delivered to London Mayor, Boris Johnson, and Green Party assembly member, Jenny Jones, today at City Hall.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Greenwich Park, London 2012 Olympics

Last Day To Visit London 2012 “Shop”

October 30, 2009 By Rob Powell

London 2012 Shop

Tomorrow is the last chance for local residents to visit the London 2012 exhibition in College Approach.

The temporary pop-up shop has a model of how Greenwich Park might look with the temporary stadium erected, and has staff on hand to answer questions. You can also give your feedback by completing a written form in there.

The spurt of consultation activity – there’s also a dedicated website and earlier this week, London 2012 equestrian chief, Tim Hadaway, penned an article for Greenwich.co.uk – comes as LOCOG prepare to put forward a formal planning application to Greenwich Council.

Have you already been to the London 2012 shop? Do you think it has been a worthwhile exercise? Should it have been there for longer and were the staff able to answer your questions? Post your comments below.

London 2012 Shop

Filed Under: News Tagged With: College Approach, London 2012 Olympics

Greenwich Council Meeting 28/10/09: Almshouses, Elected Mayors & Bulky Rubbish

October 29, 2009 By Darryl Chamberlain

Residents in historic almshouses in west Greenwich have been left in “despair, shock and sadness” by news of their possible closure, councillors heard last night.

Tenants in Queen Elizabeth College, Greenwich High Road, have been told they may have to leave under plans by its owner, The Drapers’ Company, to redevelop it.

Local councillor Maureen O’Mara presented a petition, signed by 140 people, to Greenwich Council at a meeting on Wednesday night.

Some 70 residents live in the almshouses, which opened in 1818 to house the “poor elderly people” of Greenwich. More recently, it has been open to residents from both Greenwich and Lewisham boroughs.

Tenants were under threat of being moved to “destinations unknown” by the livery company, Cllr O’Mara (Labour, Greenwich West) said.

“They are in a state of despair, shock and sadness,” she added. “The decision was made with no reference to either the local MP or local councillors.

“We know the council has no influence over the decision, but we hope the oxygen of publicity will make The Drapers’ Company think again.”

The Drapers Company told greenwich.co.uk that it was in regular contact with councillors and Greenwich & Woolwich MP Nick Raynsford.

No firm decision had been taken to close Queen Elizabeth’s College, clerk Alistair Ross said, but the City livery company hoped to eventually build new almshouses elsewhere to replace the Greenwich site and its other homes in Southwark and Tottenham.

Redeveloping the current site was “unlikely but had not been ruled out”.

“As soon as a decision is made and plans formulated the residents and borough officials will be informed and consulted, however, it is likely that the whole process will take a considerable time,” Mr Ross added.

NOGOE Petition

A 13,000-strong petition against Olympic equestrian events in Greenwich Park gathered by campaigning group NOGOE was also presented to the council, this time by Blackheath Westcombe Conservative councillor Geoff Brighty.

Organising body LOCOG is due to submit the planning application for a temporary stadium and other measures next month. Cllr Paul Webbewood (Lib Dem, Middle Park & Sutcliffe) attacked coverage of the 2012 Games in council newspaper Greenwich Time, saying an issue earlier this month had “made the council look disreputable”.

But council leader Chris Roberts (Labour, Peninsula), dismissed the criticism. “I hope there will be a full and frank discussion on what LOCOG actually submit, and not on what people think they are submitting,” Cllr Roberts said.

Elected Mayors

Councillors from all three parties threw out the possibility of Greenwich switching to a system of having an elected mayor like neighbouring Lewisham.

All London boroughs were required by the government to hold a consultation on the issue, but only 20 residents replied to Greenwich’s call for responses, with 14 of those backing the current system where the council is led by a leader and cabinet.

Cllr Roberts said that despite the low number of responses, “we are some way off the worst – one council only had one response”.

Westminster politicians should leave local councils to to decide how to run themselves, he continued, adding that the tradition of having a ceremonial, non-partisan mayor representing the council would be lost under the different system.

“Having a civic mayor is like parliament saying, ‘let’s have a president and abolish the monarchy,'” he said.

Conservative leader Cllr Spencer Drury (Eltham North) said sticking with the current system was “the least bad” option.

Lewisham has had an elected mayor, Sir Steve Bullock, taking most of its key decisions since 2002.

Bulky Rubbish Collection

Greenwich Council’s £12 charge for collecting bulky household rubbish was a “very good deal”, insisted neighbourhood services cabinet member Maureen O’Mara.

The fee was introduced for non-council tenants two years ago, and Liberal Democrat Cllr Paul Webbewood said he thought it was leading to a rise in fly-tipping.

Last month, Labour councillor Janet Gillman told a residents’ group in Charlton that she would be pressing for a review of the policy.

But Cllr O’Mara defended the system, adding that residents could get rid of up to three items for their money.

“Bexley Council charges £25 for the same service,” she added.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Chris Roberts, Greenwich Council

New Greenwich Community Radio Station Debated

October 26, 2009 By Rob Powell

A public consultation meeting was held at Woolwich Public Hall on Saturday to discuss the possible creation of a new radio station based in Greenwich.

It is proposed that Greenwich Kasapah (meaning good or decent talk in a Ghanaian language) Community Radio will be based in central Greenwich and broadcast a mix of 50% English language and 50% other community language content. The possible new station also has plans to reach out into the community by targetting older people, those with disabilities, and young people to train them and let them create programming for the station.

The station, proposed in response to a call by Ofcom for new community radio license applications in the Greater London area, would serve Greenwich, Lewisham, Southwark and surrounding areas.

Ofcom is set to make a decision by Spring 2010.

Does the new station sound like a good idea to you? Post your comments and thoughts below…

Filed Under: News

Jonathan Edwards meets John Roan pupils and talks to Greenwich.co.uk

October 22, 2009 By Rob Powell

Jonathan Edwardes and Tim Hadaway

Triple jump world record holder Jonathan Edwards was in Greenwich today to meet pupils at John Roan School. Edwards, who is a member of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (LOCOG), was accompanied by Tim Hadaway, who is is responsible for the 2012 equestrian events.

Jonathan EdwardsJonathan Edwards demonstrates the scale of his World Recording winning triple jump.

Jonathan met with pupils including the school’s sports ambassadors to talk about 2012 and his own athletics career. Answering questions from the students, he explained how he became an athlete, and urged them not to sell themselves short and not to be afraid to fail.

Asked by one student about his nerves for big events, he mentioned how he had used his former Christian faith to take the pressure off himself, but suggested this could also be achieved through other support networks. Such was his success that at one point his own son told him he wanted to be Jonathan Edwards when he grew up.

Before meeting the pupils, I sat down with Jonathan Edwards and Tim Hadaway to discuss the London 2012 Olympics. I started by asking what the purpose of the visit was today.

Jonathan: It’s just to raise the profile of the consultation that’s going on for the equestrian events in Greenwich Park, and to come and speak to young people about my career as an athlete, so it has a bit of a double focus. There’s lot of excitement, but also concern about what’s going to happen in Greenwich Park for 2012.

Greenwich.co.uk: What would you say to people who are concerned about the closure of Greenwich Park for a month in 2012?

Jonathan: The first thing to say is that there’s been a lot of consultation already and a number of changes have been made to the plans so initially we were looking at six to eight weeks closure and now it’s down to a four weeks. The route of the Cross Country has been changed and some road closures are not happening, so there’s been changes made to make it better for local residents. We wouldn’t want to host the games there if we thought there would be any long term damage to Greenwich Park – it’s one of the iconic features of London.

A lot of the people I’ve spoken to are very excited about the fact you’ve got biggest sporting event in the world coming to Greenwich and I think Greenwich Park will provide an incredible backdrop. The equestrian events are every dramatic and for the first time you’ve got those events right on the doorstep of the Olympics village.

Greenwich.co.uk: Would you encourage people in Greenwich to get tickets because I don’t know that there’s any kind of priority ticketing for local people?

We’re looking at our ticketing policy. Clearly we will take into consideration local residents being able to see events on their doorstep, I don’t think there’s any question about that – balancing that with it being games for the whole of the UK. But looking at Cross Country for example, there’s 75,000 [tickets] across the whole course so there’s a massive opportunity, and in the arena where there will be dressage and show jumping there’s 23,000 so there’s a lot of tickets and a lot of availability.

Greenwich.co.uk: What about a physical legacy for Greenwich?

Jonathan: The first thing is that Greenwich Council is being given £17.5million as part of its legacy fund which if Greenwich wasn’t a host borough, wouldn’t be there.

Tim Hadaway: Greenwich Council are looking at a site down at Shooters Hill next to a farm you can visit, and they are looking at building a permanent equestrian centre there which would give children of the borough, and adults, the chance to get involved in the sport. There’s also a plan which is quite a fun idea, that incorporates the cross country course into a new children’s play area and an element of it will be designed so that the horses can actually jump over it and it will stay there, so you can imagine the kids climbing through or sliding off what has actually been one of the jumps.

Greenwich.co.uk: Would you consider equestrianism to be a world sport in the same way that athletics is?

Tim: We’ll have about around the 45 mark in terms of countries that will eventually qualify, but they would have come from qualifying groups around the world. Just like the World Cup there is qualifying but the qualifying works on a world zone basis so there’s a lot of countries that do compete.

Greenwich.co.uk: Do you think equestrianism has a long term future as an Olympic sport?

Tim: Yeah, absolutely, very much so. Unlike all the other Olympic sports which are about two-legged athletes, in this sport you have a four legged athlete as well and it’s all about how the two work in partnership with each other. A lot of the people competing will have developed the horse they are sitting on over a number of years.

Greenwich.co.uk: What about the barrier to entry – who actually owns the horses?

Tim: That’s a good question. It’s gone down the route of being owned by either private individuals or often consortiums of people, a bit like racing, where you have groups of people who come together and enjoy the sport. Most of the horses that top riders ride are actually owned by other people. Sometimes riding has this perception of being expensive and inaccessible, but actually a lot of the top riders have come from a background where they haven’t got a lot of private support or a lot of money themselves. Just like any other sport, they’ve grafted away and taken advantage of little opportunities that come their way and they’ve got to the level where they’ve been spotted perhaps and someone’s given them one of their top horses (to ride).

Greenwich.co.uk: Turning to Athletics, Jonathan – we got 4 athletics medals at Beijing. Are we expecting more for 2012?

Jonathan: We did amazingly well in Berlin [World Championships in Athletics]. Beijing was slightly disappointing. We’ve got a new head coach, Charles van Commenee,  who took Denise Lewis to gold in Sydney and also worked with me towards the latter end of my career, and I think he’s made a big difference. Berlin was highly encouraging and our best performance in a World Championship since 1993. I think it’s given everyone a lot of optimism for 2012 and host nations always do well. At Beijing we came 4th in the medals table, but can we match up to that? All the indications are that we will, and we’ll do better.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Interview, John Roan School, London 2012 Olympics

No Letter From Legg For Nick Raynsford

October 21, 2009 By Rob Powell

As has been widely publicised, many MPs have received letters in the last week requesting the repayment of wrongly claimed expenses following a review by Sir Thomas Legg. The review has asked for thousands of pounds in expenses to be paid back to the public purse, including a request for £12,000 to be repaid by the Prime Minister.

Greenwich and Woolwich MP, Nick Raynsford, has confirmed that he received no such letter and has not been asked to repay any expenses.

Nick Raynsford said today:

“I know that the issue of MPs’ expenses is one that remains high in many people’s minds when they think about politics and I wanted to take the opportunity, in light of the Legg review, to make sure that residents in Greenwich and Woolwich are fully aware of my position.

“I have never claimed for a second home, nor for any furniture or fittings. My expense claim is the 37th lowest out of 646 MPs and the vast majority of my expense claim is spent on employing members of staff who assist me in taking up constituents’ cases whenever they come to me with a problem.

“The process of going through other MPs’ expenses will take time and will continue to generate negative comments about politics and about Members of Parliament. I hope that by making my position as clear as possible, local residents will be reassured about my position. If any residents have any queries about any elements of my claims for expenses, which were all published earlier this year, then they are welcome to write to my office to seek further clarification or to visit my website at www.nickraynsford.org.uk”

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Nick Raynsford

Cutty Sark Reopening Delayed

October 20, 2009 By Rob Powell

The reopening of the Cutty Sark has been pushed back to Spring 2011, according to a report on the BBC website.

The famous tea clipper, synonymous with Greenwich, has been undergoing an extensive refurbishment programme, but this was severely hampered by the fire of May 2007 when an industrial vacuum cleaner was left switched on.

The BBC quotes Richard Doughty, Chair of the Cutty Sark Trust, as saying that they “could still need up to £5m” in order to complete the project in line with their “vision”.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: Cutty Sark

LOCOG To Open Temporary Exhibition in Greenwich

October 16, 2009 By Rob Powell

8 College Approach

London 2012 organisers are planning to run an exhibition in a pop up shop in College Approach later this month to answer questions over plans to use Greenwich Park for the equestrian events.

The temporary shop, first noted by Darryl at 853, will be between Rhodes Bakery and the Admiral Hardy, and will be open between 21-25 October and then again between 28-31 October. The 2012 team say they will be “happy to answer your questions”.

The move coincides with the launch of a new microsite dedicated to their plans for Greenwich Park which includes venue proposals and a list of frequently asked questions.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: College Approach

NOGOE Demonstrators Organise Ring in the Park

October 14, 2009 By Rob Powell

Ring Around The Park

Local pressure group NOGOE organised a “Ring Around The Park” on Sunday to demonstrate against plans to hold the 2012 equestrian events in the Royal Park.

Whilst not enough people turned up to live up to the billing of a ring around the park, estimates of attendance that we have seen vary wildly between 200 – 650.

As well as demonstrators, the media was well represented to cover the event and apparently London 2012 organisers also turned up to hand out their own information.

NOGOE say they are pleased with the coverage of the event and that it will have sent a message to Olympic officials and Greenwich Council.

Filed Under: News

Evening Standard to disappear from local newsagents

October 9, 2009 By Rob Powell

Last Evening Standard sign at Sabo Newsagents
Evening Standard signboard displayed outside Sabo newsagents for the last time today.

The London Evening Standard will no longer be available from small Greenwich newsagents from Monday as the paper becomes an afternoon freesheet.

Today was the last day that Greenwich residents will be able to buy the paper from their local newsagents as the 50p cover-price is dropped and the paper moves to large supermarket-based pick up points.

The newspaper, formerly home to Greenwich.co.uk columnist Andrew Gilligan, will now be given away at larger distribution points with the only confirmed location in SE10 at the time of writing being Sainsbury’s in Bugsby’s Way.

It will also be available in the nearby Asda and WH Smiths (both in SE7) but there are currently no distribution points confirmed in SE3.

With no other afternoon paper alternative available, one Greenwich newsagent I spoke to today was unsure of how the loss of the Standard would effect trade but it’s something we will be revisiting over the coming weeks.

Earlier this year, the Standard was bought for £1 by Russian billionaire Alexander Lebedev.

Filed Under: News

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 47
  • 48
  • 49
  • 50
  • 51
  • …
  • 62
  • Next Page »

Visit the Old Royal Naval College

Book tickets for the Old Royal Naval College

Recent Posts

  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Charlton v Chelsea U-21 (29/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Barnsley v Charlton (22/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Bristol Rovers v Charlton (1/10/24)
  • Kevin Nolan’s Match Report: Cambridge United v Charlton (17/09/24)

Greenwich.co.uk © Uretopia Limited | About/Contact | Privacy Policy